Pages

Wednesday 30 March 2011

Super Parent


The past few weeks I have been in deep thought about a topic that seems to be talked about all the time in such a negative way......................SINGLE PARENTS

I have never quite understood how people can judge someone for being a lone parent, immediately when you hear single parent people assume they live in a very poor community, they live off government money, they have no goals, their children grow up to be trouble makers and they have a lot of self anger. Now this is what I call a false created image of what a single parent is.

Being a parent full stop is very hard, there is so much to consider when bringing up a child, so many sacrifices are made. Your life completely changes. People feel with a mother and father a child lives a better life but the truth is this is not always the case. Parents argue, parents have disagreements and their are some families that go through mental abuse or physical abuse......is this a good life for a child? Not all families with both parents are perfect, but society wants everyone to believe it is and more problem areas are within single parent families.

The difference with having both parents and 1 parent is, to have both parents they have someone to make decisions with, and there is another person responsible for the childs upbringing. With a lone parent they make all the decisions by themselves and have full responsibility of their childs uprbringing..............do you really think this is easy????

When it comes to single parents I feel people need to stop and really look at the title SINGLE, LONE and realise what these parents are doing is truly amazing! as they are doing it aLONE. To raise a child financially, emotionally, physically and mentally by yourself is a major challenge. What people fail to realise is that some of these parents have dreams and goals and some of them really go for it! to do this and support a child by yourself, you deserve so much respect. Yes there are a few that give up but do you not think that is because they find it so hard doing it alone? does that mean we should judge them and make them feel worthless?

Instead of us showing lone parents more support we label them and give them a description which is so wrong! not every lone parent is the same, although they are single parents they have their own personalities, their own views on life so who are we to judge?! and lets not forget most lone parents do not want to be a lone parent, it is because of a situation that they are now lone parents. In most cases its due to a parent not wanting to be apart of the childs life, a break up in the relationship, domestic violence, a parent not really being supportive, a parent being mentally unstable or in prison.

Now I find it very wrong to blame all problems within the community on single parents, just because you are lone parent does not mean you will raise your child to be a bully to society or your child will be uneducated. Yes it is more of a struggle to raise your child financially but there are some wealthy people out there who have notorious children who are involved in drugs and crime. Crime comes from all backgrounds; rich, poor, black, white, asian, single parents, partnered etc. How you raise your child is your choice, we all know how we want our children to be raised or how we want them to live but it doesnt always work this way. people need to be aware that once a child is out of their parents sight they tend to play a different character due to peer pressure, this is not the parents fault. If you want to blame someone blame the government for taking away so many community clubs for children which was helping them focus on something positive instead of being on the streets up to no good. Give a child something enjoyable to do and thats where there focus will be.

I have a few friends who are single parents and are brilliant parents! they work, drive, make time for friends and family and their kids always come first. There are many celebrities who are lone parents and have successful careers for example Elle Macpherson, Jodie Foster, Lisa Raye, Minnie Driver, Sandra Bullock, Cheryl Crow, Ricky Martin. People are so quick to judge without getting to know what it is to really be a single/lone parent. It means exactly what it says a parent doing it alone, a parent playing both roles which is not easy at all.

I personally have so much love, respect and support towards single parents. In my eyes your SUPER PARENT! and I applaud you for your hardwork in supporting your child/ children and yourself by yourself!

x

3 comments:

  1. Wow! Thanks for this post. Being a single mother myself I know personally how hard it is. No it was not my choice and yes I am judged all the time because I am a young single mother of two children. I remember a woman stopping me one day asking "How did you have two kids?" I was shocked that she would even say such a thing. I get judged a lot because I look younger than I am. I'm still young (27 in a couple weeks), but having two kids did not stop me from achieving my dreams. I've given up a lot for my kids, but I don't regret it at all. In my case it does get hard because I have no emotion, physical, or financial support so when I'm down, I have to pick myself up because I have my kids who are counting on me. My girls make me stronger than I would have even been if I didn't have them. I have never given up on my dreams and even though I'm not where I want to be, I don't let my status as a single mom hold me back. I already achieved a bachelor's degree and I have two classes left (along with internship and practicum) to finish my master's degree. My kids don't want for anything and I take pride in going without so that they can have. I appreciate the things you had to say because often time us single mothers don't hear such encouraging words but instead we're being judged and looked down on. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE LOVE LOVE YOUR POSTS ITS BETTER THAN TV ... LOL THROUGH MY CHILD I LIVE MY DREAMS ... BEFORE I HAD MY SON I WAS ON A LAZING ABOUT TIP... BUT HE PUSHES ME NOT BECAUSE I HAVE TO PROVIDE FOR HIM OR BECAUSE I WANT TO MAKE HIM PROUD OF ME ...(THOSES THINGS ARE OBVIOUS) BUT HE GIVES ME SOME SORT OF UNDYING POWER TO KEEP IT MOVING IN A POSITIVE DIRECTION!!

    http://dtrh-stateofmind.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you ladies, it all comes from the heart.

    I applaud you! you should feel so proud of yourselves, what your doing is an amazing job and I find it so inspiring. I never realised how hard parenting is and to be doing it alone! Lord Christ! more power to you!. Honestly you deserve so much greatness in life.

    And for tomorrow I shall say in advance: Happy Mothers Day x

    ReplyDelete