Pages

Monday 31 May 2010

Career dazed



Yesterday I attended the Mind, body and spirit festival and came out feeling very inspired but at the same time it made me stop and think about a few things within my life. There were plenty of informative workshops in which good advice was given, it aimed at our well being, health, relationships and our future. The atmosphere was very positive and calming. I felt very calm, happy and relaxed, it was also nice to see so many people at the festival looking and learning to self develop. I feel I am on the right track when it comes to my health, well being and friendships but there is 1 thing I do think about a lot.

The main thing that comes to my mind is my career as right about now my career has a question mark with arrows beside it. One of the arrows tells me to go for the job that I want with all my heart which I will enjoy and the other arrow tells me to go for a job that Im good at and pays well, so which path do I choose?. There are so many great jobs and opportunities out there and I want a lot of them but I know having all of them is not realistic.

Sometimes I think about going to another country and working out there, if I enjoy it then I can live out there permanantly, but is that what I really want? am I ready to leave my life in the UK? am I ready to leave my family and friends? and once again is this what I really want???

My current work is very rewardable but It is not what I see myself doing in years to come and I always come back home thinking and believeing I should be doing something else, something that I love. There are times I get very frustrated with my job as It doesnt fufill me, its not where my heart lies and recently I have been messed around a lot. My job is not as easy as people think it is, you have to have A LOT of patience and be a very calming person. I am beginning to feel that my time is up within that job field and Im ready to move to something completely different. With all the mishaps happening at work I believe it is a sign for me that a career change is in order, but what shall I do career wise? Like I said there is so much that I want to do.

Today I have been sitting and thinking about my career once again and I have come to accept that I need to be true to myself and find out what it is that I really want to do and why I want to do it, then I need to ask myself do I believe I can achieve getting this job and will I actually enjoy it. With these questions pondering in my head I decided to give my mind a break from the career thoughts and go through some of the leaflets I recieved at the festival, all of a sudden I began to have a great sense of faith in myself and felt the need to look back at all my past achievements. Looking at them I felt proud, some of the things I wouldnt think to do now I had done before and achieved in all of them. I could see what I am skilled and talented at and what I have improved on and what still needs improving.

I decided to really look within myself and say out loud what I want to be doing and how I want to be living in 5 years time relationship wise, financially, career wise, life style and other (meaning housing, driving etc). With doing this I decided to put this on paper and turn it in to an action plan.

So I got a big piece of A3 paper and set myself goals for this year, my next step is to research everything I have written down and every 2 weeks check on my progression. I have got a little notepad to put down what research I have done, the evidence and what the results were that way I know I am definately working towards my goal and I am on the right track. For now I am focusing on the career area as it plays an important role in my life.

In 5 years time I would like to know that I have a stable and enjoyable career and If I want that to really happen I need to work towards it now! now is the best time. If I do not take action and only say what I want nothing will get done, I will not achieve my goals. I refuse to have a life where in 5 years I am a miserable woman because I did not go for the career I wanted with a passion. So for now I am on a mission! I will not stop untill the mission is achieved and once the mission is achieved I will know for definite that when you put your mind and energy in to something your passionate about you recieve it, you live it.

Just like the secret tells us "ask, belive, recieve"

x

1 comment:

  1. It's interesting that two people from two different, very different, parts of the world can be going through a similar experience. I sometimes think I live in a vacuum. But when I come across posts like yours, I am reminded that I am not the only one.

    I have been thinking a lot about my career as well, and share your sentiments. There are many things that I know I'm good at, and I'd pursue a career in these things with the snap of a finger. But like you've said...are these things what I really want to do right now. (For me, these things... are teaching and public speaking). Then there are other things that others know I'm good at, but my confidence to perform at their standards shifts (for me, this thing is rapping...) I wake up with music on my mind...throughout the day, I may think about teaching. Which one to choose? Do I need to choose? Is there a way for these two things to co-exist?

    It seems like the things closest to our hearts are the most challenging things to strive for. I wonder what that's all about. Is it the fear of failure? Of not being good enough? Or simply, just not wanting to let others down...it seems like, as you said, some trust in our ability to perform at our highest potential needs to be inserted into the equation, as well as a sustainable plan of action.

    Girl, I am with you! My homegirl (who is on model mayhem, which is how i found you..more about that later) just made vision boards this past weekend. I look at mine everyday and trust that, with a course of action and affirmative thinking, that I will accomplish and attain everything on my board.

    I'm curious as to what you are straddling between? Based on what I've seen via your model mayhem page, I know for sure that you are an excellent model. I'm a performance artist and often times have to take photos to promote events...
    ...needless to say, I have a strong distaste for posing...
    ...but your profile pictures make modeling look more like an art than some shi shi foo foo activity relegated to only the "pretty" girls.

    You are beautiful and I hope that you continue to pursue modeling. However, if this is not one of your heart's closest desires, please do not allow my comments to sway you. Trust yourself.

    ...thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete